Monday 22 September 2014

Holly&Lil Dog Show 2014 - Part of Bermondsey Street Festival

Once a year our whole street comes out and parties.  Everybody in the street takes part and we have a Fashion Show, Dale shows his Bees and his delicious Honey and the restaurants set up stalls serving wonderful food and drink, etc.  Holly&Lil part in all of this is their very own dog show.
The BSAG had moved us out of our usual home in Tanner Street to Leathermarket Gardens this year as the venue gave more room to the spectators.


The emphasis this year was as much on the Losers as the Winners, as Gus and I had flunked badly in a show a week or so back and it really hurt when we did not even get placed.  Slinking out of the ring unloved was rather vile - so this year I had loads of WE WOZ ROBBED rosettes made and also hand baked some yummy treats just for those who did not win.

It was my first year compering as Dale, Lilys owner, who had been in Cambridge Footlights was a natural and had been such a huge part of our success previously.  I did not want to get some sad wanna be replacement for him so decided to do it myself with the wonderful Robert Alleyne as Judge.  H&L have known Robert quite a few years since we met him at a Macmillan Dog Day when he was helping launch the Marley and Me film.  He was very taken with Eddie and Holly and Lily that day.  Robert had spent many years on the popular BBC show Dog Borstal.


Donna Marie introduced us in her own style and Simon Bulpin and his three Italian Greyhounds led us in dressed as Swiss Guards.. Mad but rather wonderful.


The show just whizzed by and once I had got over my nerves and Verbal Diarrhoea I really enjoyed it and I think most of the contestants and Spectators did too!
All of the Els Angels said they would remind me to take my pinny off ... did they....?!? NO - not a good look!

 

Harry a Sussex Spaniel shown by Bernie was one of Roberts personal favourites.  He said they summed up totally what the show was all about; the wonderful relationship between owner and dog.
He said the communication between them was a joy.
Maisies owners had heard me being interviewed on the BBC radio Barking Hour.  They had come down specially as they were desperate to get a WE WOZ ROBBED rosette - Robert was happy to help them out.
Claire amazed herself and the rest of us by blubbing with pride when Marvin won the Eddie Award, best pedigree boy.
Meryl the Boston was pretty as a picture and won  The Lily Award for Prettiest Gal

 
from young pupstars to 12year old seniors all were welcome in the show.

Holly only wanted to play ball with the Els Angels

But Gus helped Mary hand out the We Woz Robbed rosettes and Made by Mum treats
With typical organised chaos we have managed NOT to have pics of our wonderful wee winner - Mabel our youngest ever entrant let alone winner - a 16week old Cockerpoo.  CONGRATULATIONS!

Robert and I did our best and I think everyone had fun.  
Robert said he wished I could compere more of the shows he does - (THANK YOU) - and wrote on his Facebook Page... 
''I have never laughed so much at a dog show EVER!!!! My thanks to my amazingly funny steward Elaine, who made the show"
Well nearly everyone - there were a few people who thought I talked too much, (there's a shocker?!).  Our usual brand of organised chaos was called 'shambolic' by one - though we kept to schedule and finished early!  And the emphasis on the Losers may have been taken the wrong way I guess - but truly I meant no harm and hoped everyone had the best of days. Certainly Beezle and Daddy seemed to be cherishing their rosettes
Daddy - he woz robbed!
.
Beezle - he was robbed!
So thanks to all who came and to all my Els Angels, Chelsea, Alex, Connor, Jo and Mary and Chris our one volunteer this year! Also to Angela who did what she could to make the area work well. Looking forward to next year already

No comments: